Monday, November 12, 2007

Working on .htaccess

I never knew what .htaccess is until I get my own domain and start hosting my own site using wordpress. Even until now I’m still pretty confuse about the usage. I get in touch with .htaccess because I learn that in order my site to get better search results I need to redirect domain.com to www.domain.com. According to SEO, this will have a better page ranking as things are not divided out. In order to do this I need to edit my .htaccess file and write some programming language into it. I’m not good at this so I just copy and paste the whole line into the file. Well, guess what? It took me about an hour to get it done correctly.

RewriteEngine on

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www\.domain\.com)(:80)? [NC]

RewriteRule ^(.*) http://domain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

It’s just a few simple lines just like the above but I’m having a hard time making it right. There are still a lot of things can be done by editing the .htaccess file but I need to find some other way or method so that it can be used easily. I start searching for tools and I found this site.

.htaccess editor



It’s a simple editor and all you need to do is select the task and fill in the blanks. As soon as you’re done, the required code or script will be created. All you need to do is just copy and paste it to the .htaccess file. It’s as simple as ABC. I don’t have to worry about programming languages. Best of all the instruction and selection comes with few other languages like Chinese, Japanese, English and Korea. The site is trying to get people to help them to translate it into other languages. It you’re interested then perhaps you might help to translate into German, French or Italian.

If you’re having headache with .htaccess, then you should visit the site. It’s one great site that you’ll love.

No comments: